KEN VANDERLIP, Ph.D.
Over thirty years’ experience in mental health and personal growth related endeavors including over 25 years of licensure and private practice as a Psychologist, preceded as a Marriage, Family, Child Counselor. Expertise includes several areas of emphasis: EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing), stress management; peak performance; personal growth and the exploration of human potential; certified in hypnotherapy; extensive employee assistance triage and management training experience; chemical dependency services (Recovering, Co-dependent, ACA); and marriage, family and child counseling. In addition, experience includes teaching and clinical practice in a variety of settings: university, medical center, corporate and private practice environments.
Dr. Vanderlip specializes in stress management and peak performance. His experience in athletics and meditation generated his interest in Peak Performance and how it relates to enhancing level of performance in all aspects of life. He is a certified consultant, facilitator and practitioner of EMDR through EMDRIA (International Association for EMDR). He has co-authored a complete stress management program; De-Stress For Success® : The Workbook with his wife and partner Susie Vanderlip, CPAE, CSP.
Dr. Vanderlip has a profoundly supportive and encouraging style. He works with professionals, executives, management and individual clients in burnout and change. As a 5th Degree Black Belt and Sensei in Judo and a certified teacher of Actualism meditation, he blends his psychotherapeutic skills with over forty-five years of martial arts and meditation. He approaches life-balance with common-sense and kindness.
Ken is currently in private practice in Orange County and specializes in stress, trauma and peak performance. In addition, Ken provides presentations and seminars on Sress Management, Peak Performance, Meditation, Mindfulness and other topics. He is also a certified consultant, facilitator and practitioner of EMDR through EMDRIA (International Association for EMDR).
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY – San Diego, CA
Ph.D. in Psychology – July 1989
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY at FULLERTON – Fullerton, CA
M.S. Clinical/Community Psychology, May 1983
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY – E. Lansing , MI
B.S. Psychology – August, 1968
Jan. 1992 – Present
LEGACY – Orange, CA
CFO/Partner, International Consultant and Trainer
Provides consultation services and conducts ½ day to 2-day life balance and stress management seminars (De-Stress For Success®), Peak Performance, Meditation, Mindfulness and other topics both individually and with partner and wife, Susie Vanderlip, CPAE, CSP.
March 2008 – Present
Private Practice – Orange, CA
Psychologist (1993 – Present)
Dr. Vanderlip specializes in adults and late adolescent treatment for: peak performance, stress management (including Meditation, Mindfulness, Hypnosis, Relaxation and other Methods); anxiety: victims of crime/abuse/trauma; co-dependency, and ACA issues. Dr. Vanderlip is also an EMDR Institute Facilitator, EMDRIA Certified Therapist and Approved Consultant in EMDR.
June 1983 – Feb 2008
Private Practice – Fullerton, CA
MFT (1983-1993) & Psychologist (1993-present)
Performed individual, marital, family and child counseling, and specialized counseling for chemical dependency (including co-dependency and ADA issues); peak performance; stress management and anxiety; victims of crime/abuse/trauma; and psychological testing.
Aug 1991 – Jan 1998 CONCERN EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM – Cincinnati, OH – Contracted Consultant
Work provided in Fullerton, CA. Crisis intervention, triage, short-term counseling and referrals.
Jan 1988 – 1998 NATIONAL RESOURCE CONSULTANTS/Blue Cross EAP – San Diego, CA Contract Consultant
Employee assistance program. Triage, evaluation, short-term counseling and referral.
Contracted consultant. Work provided in Fullerton , CA
Feb 1988 – June1988 RANCHO SANTIAGO COLLEGE , Santa Ana , CA
July 1982 – June 1987 R.E.A.C.H. Martin Luther Hospital Medical Center – Anaheim, CA
Training and Education Coordinator (June 1986 – June 1987)
Coordinator/Senior Counselor (July 1982 – June1986)
Employee Assistance Program. Triage, evaluation, referral, management training, “brown bag” seminars and other components of EAP services.
Feb 1985-1986 CENTER FOR EDUCATION/SUMMIT SCHOOL Private School – Psychotherapist
May 1982 – July 1983 ALCOHOLISM RECOVERY SERVICE (ARS)
Martin Luther Hospital Medical Center – Anaheim, CA
Out-patient Counselor & Stress-Reduction Instructor
1978-1981 GOLDEN WEST COLLEGE – Huntington Beach , CA
1975-1979 CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY – Long Beach , CA
Volunteer Teaching Assistant for Marti Fiebert, Ph.D.
Interviewing Techniques (Rogerian/Gestalt)
ADDITIONAL TRAINING & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Licensed Psychologist – License # PSY 13314 ( 3/1/93 )
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing)
Specialty/Adv. Level Certificate 12/92
- EMDR Facilitator
- EMDR Certified Therapist
- EMDR Approved Consultant – Since 11/1999
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Training/Cert. 11/92
- M.F.C.C. – LIC#: MFC 20421 (1/85-12/98)
- Hypnosis – BBSE Certification ( 3/21/89 )
- California Community College Teaching Credential (Life), Psychology
- ACTUALISM TRAINING (1974 – Present) – Westernized approach to Eastern philosophies on meditation, energy channeling, laying-on of hands, bodywork, and special therapeutic skills). Ordained Minister of Service 6/7/1997
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- EMDRIA (Charter Member)
- De-Stress For Success®: The Workbook – Second Edition” Published 2012 (revised 2016). Co-authored by Ken Vanderlip, Ph.D. and Susie Vanderlip, CPAE, CSP Updated version of the original in print and eBook versions.
- De-Stress For Success®: The Workbook. A comprehensive and interactive stress management approach including a 230-page workbook, 1 DVD/video, and 2 audio CD’s, in print and eBook versions. Co-authored by Ken Vanderlip, Ph.D. and Susie Vanderlip, CPAE, CSP. Published 2009.
- Personal Excellence, The Magazine of Personal Leadership for Executives, July, 2009; De-Stress for Success®: Cultivate a Healthy Attitude – By Dr. Ken Vanderlip and Susie Vanderlip
- Doctoral Dissertation: “Executives and their Spouses: Meaning in Life and Marital Adjustment.” July 14, 1989 .
- “Stress Management: Meditation”, INNER-VIEW, January, 8, 1983
PRESENTATIONS AND TRAININGS:
- Keynote: OC CAMFT Gala – June 2018: Mindfulness and the Way of a Compassionate Warrior
- EMDR Institute: Facilitator & Consultant for EMDR Level 1 & 2 Trainings since 1993 to present
- De-Stress for Success® Workshops at numerous conferences for counselors, educators, law enforcement and other professionals as co-presenter with professional speaker/wife Susie Vanderlip, CPAE, CSP